3M™ Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS is a non-slump firestop used primarily on vertical surfaces. This firestop sealant also meets UL Water Leakage Test, W Rating — Class 1 requirements for systems tested and listed in accordance with ANSI/UL 1479. Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS is elastomeric, is ready-to-use, and exhibits excellent weatherability.
- 1 Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS Overview
- 2 Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS Applications
- 3 Specifications
- 4 Installation Techniques
Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS Overview
- Meets UL Water Leakage Test, W Rating (Class 1 requirements)
- Firestop tested up to 3 hours in accordance with ASTM E 814 (UL 1479) and CAN/ULC S115
- Offers compression and extension capability of ±31% for dynamic and static construction joints
- Fire resistance tested for construction joint (including curtain wall) systems in accordance with ASTM E 1966 (UL 2079), ASTM E 2307
- Excellent caulk rate and sealant can be applied with conventional caulking equipment
- Non-slump, halogen-free formula provides strong adhesion
- Exceptional weatherability for durability during construction
- Minimizes noise transfer (STC-Rating of 56 when tested in STC 56-rated wall assembly)
- Formulated as a re-enterable and repairable solution
- Sealant is paintable with primer
- Excellent weatherability during construction
Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS Applications
Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000NS is used to firestop blank openings, dynamic and static construction joints, and the following penetrating items that pass through the fire-rated floor or wall assemblies: metallic pipes, non-metallic pipes, cables, cable tray, insulated pipes, combos, and other miscellaneous mechanical penetrations. For vertical firestop applications use Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS (non-slump).
Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS is ready-to-use, single component, neutral cure, non-slumping (1000 NS), silicone sealants. The sealants shall be listed by independent test agencies such as UL, ULC, Intertek, or FM.
Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS shall be tested to and pass the criteria of ASTM E 814 (UL 1479) Standard Test Method for Fire Tests of Penetration Firestop Systems, ASTM E 1966 (UL 2079) Standard Test Method for Fire Resistive Joint Systems, CAN/ ULC-S115 Standard Method of Fire Tests of Firestop Systems. These sealants shall meet UL W-Rating Class 1 requirements for watertightness.
Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS shall meet the requirements of NEC (NFPA 70), IBC, IFC, IRC, NBCC, NFPA 101, and NFPA 5000.
- The surface of the opening and any penetrating items should be clean and free of dirt and debris to allow for the proper adhesion of 3M™ Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant.
- Do not use alcohol to clean surfaces in penetration or joint opening, instead use a commercial solvent such as mineral spirits, xylene, toluene or methyl ethyl ketone (MEK).
- Ensure that the surface of the substrates are not wet and are frost free. Sealant can be installed with a standard caulking gun, pneumatic pumping equipment or it can be easily applied with a putty knife or trowel.
- Install the applicable depth of backing material, if required, as detailed within the applicable UL, cUL, ULC, Intertek or other third-party listed system.
- Cut the end of the 3M™ Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant tube spout to achieve the desired beadwidth.
- Install the applicable depth of 3M™ Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant into the opening flush with the surface of the substrate,or as detailed within the applicable listed system, at the required depth for the assembly and rating that is specified.
- Tool within 5 minutes.
- Clean all tools immediately after use with a commercial solvent such as mineral spirits, xylene, toluene or methyl ethyl ketone (MEK).
- Do not apply 3M™ Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS (Note: once applied,sealant may be exposed to intermittent water — exhibits excellent weatherability when fully cured) or frost-coated, in unvented spaces where sealant is not exposed to atmospheric moisture, in areas where abrasion or physical abuse of the sealant are likely and/or where painting of sealant is required.
- Do not apply 3M™ Fire Barrier Water Tight Sealant 1000 NS to polycarbonates or to building materials that bleed oil, plasticizers or solvent (e.g. impregnated wood, oil-based sealants, or green or partially vulcanized rubber).
- Note: In confined cure conditions there may be discoloration of brass, copper or other sensitive metals.