Residual Current Devices are a life-saving device that is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire.
It can also provide some protection against electrical fires. Residual Current Devices offer a level of personal protection that ordinary fuses and circuit-breakers cannot provide.
A Residual Current Device is a sensitive safety device that switches off electricity automatically if there is a fault.
A Residual Current Device is designed to protect against the risks of electrocution and fire caused by earth faults. For example, if you cut through the cable when mowing the lawn and accidentally touched the exposed live wires or a faulty appliance overheats causing electric current to flow to the earth